Micellar water is one of the hottest new discoveries being buzzed about in magazines, on beauty blogs and by good ol’ fashioned word of mouth. Pronounced in French “me-sellaire”, this hydrating water-based product combines nano-sized, single-layer oil micelles (think microscopic bubbles) with soft water to offer an ultra effective make-up remover and skin cleanser that needs no rinsing. It can be used before, after, or instead of a traditional foaming cleanser, on all skin types. One size fits all skin care? Say it isn’t so!
The whole technology is as interesting as it is simple. The oil in the micelles attract and hold on to dirt, grime and makeup that would otherwise be left behind. Oil and oil attract in the same way a damp sponge soaks up far more water than a dry one.
Micelles have been used in beauty for more than a hundred years, starting in France. French women clamored for the product to avoid rinsing their skin with a notoriously harsh water supply. We found micellar water to be gentle, refreshing and enjoyed the flexibility of not having to rinse it off. Where was this product when I was in my twenties, arriving home in the wee hours only to struggle with removing my heavy-handed makeup?
Many popular brands are jumping into the race and launching their own micellar waters, some fragrance & soap-free while others are a little more loaded down with extras and extracts. We think the category is ripe for innovation- how about micellar water packed with Vitamin C for that extra glow? Or perhaps a concentrated pop of anti-oxidants?
Here’s a short list of the most popular options:
- Bioderma Crealine H20 Micellar Solution– the most talked about, gentle option for overworked skin
- Decléor Aroma Cleanse Soothing Micellar Water– includes Rose Essential Oil to protect against external irritants.
- Eau Thermale Avène Micellar Lotion– popular for being ultra gentle
- Lancome Eau Micellaire Douceur– a make-up artist favorite, yet pricy
- Boots Botanics All Bright Micellar 3 in 1 Cleansing Solution– my favorite affordable option that is alcohol, soap and fragrance free.
Love micellar water and want to talk about it? Leave us a comment below.